Monday, January 24, 2011

Sexy Breakfast That Heals

I love food.  Good food.  Food that not only nourishes my body and fuels my workouts, but food that nurtures my soul.  Today I am recovering from a little bit of a head cold and my body just needed certain nutrients and I listen to that and honor that.  One of the foods a body needs to heal is carbs.  And because I am feeling a little puny I have a desire for 'comfort' foods.  I want to honor that feeling without violating what I know to be healthy nutritious eating.  So, I wanted to have something that would 'stick to my ribs' you know those starchy substantial foods.  I usually have steel cut oats in the morning.  But this morning I selected a mix of grains I had made over the weekend.  It is a mix of whole wheat cous cous, bulgar wheat, and red quinoa.  Morning is a good time for me to have those higher carb meals. 

I sauteed up some sliced portabella mushrooms, green onions, asparagus and fresh spinach.  Then I tossed in the grain mixture to warm it up.

After the grains and veggies were warm and delicious looking, I scooped them over into a bowl.  Then I used the same skillet to fry up a couple egg whites and one whole egg.  The egg was then placed on the top of the grain mixture in my breakfast bowl.  I love this style of cooking.  It really requires no salt or seasons.  The texture, color and crunch of the veggies, the creaminess of the egg, just adds up to all kinds of yumminess.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup of cooked grain mixture (whole wheat cous cous, red quinoa, bulgar wheat)
1/2 cup of sliced portabella mushrooms
6 asparagus spears
3 green onions
2 egg whites
1 whole egg

Cals: 375
Fat: 9.8
Carbs: 47.5
Protein: 27.8

If you want to cut your carbs more on this one you could go for 1/4 cup of grain mixture.  I probably over estimated how much of each grain was in the mix, so the carb level could be lower.  It was delicous and I feel better already!

2 comments:

  1. Love the veggie combo and I just boat some quinoa for the first time last week. Haven't made it yet, though! Glad you're feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete