Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 3 of the Strip Down

Yesterday was so busy, I didn't get a chance to write about my day three. I'm so glad that I am following written meal plans right now, because I am so super busy I would have a hard time focusing on what I need to eat and would just be estimating and over shooting on some things and under shooting on others. By the way, I almost always follow a written plan. I write my own, just like I do for my clients. I want to spend just a moment talking about a concept known at periodization. This is something I have used for myself and for my clients and I find it to be very effective. Athletes use periodization. It is the idea of eating and training for the 'season' you are in. Professional athletes have on off season, pre-season, in season and post season. During these times, their focus and training are different for each phase to meet the goal of that phase. Runners, who strictly run and run year round tend to stay injured and have more difficulty with recovery and progress.

Likewise, those who are trying to lose weight, drop body fat and increase muscle, need to look at the year in quarters. Think of a large slab of marble. The tools that you would use to chunk off the larger outward sections is totally different than the tools you would need to use to chisel out the finer details. So, in weight loss, you have the beginning phase that is focused more on cardio and larger muscle groups and making the dietary changes along the way. Your plan has to ebb and flow. There has to be times that your purposely cause yourself to relax, pause, reassess your goals and the road ahead of you. This may shock you, but I have purposely put myself on maintenance to give my body (my skin and musculature) time to catch up with the changed that were taking place. Maintenance phase for me usually lasts 3 mths. then I start working on the next goal. During weight maintenance I focus on muscle gain, not fat burning. I want muscle to fill out the space that fat has left so that my skin has minimal sag.

Okay, I need to move on. I have much more I could say about periodization and all that I have learned from head coaches and olympic conditioning coaches. But that 'article' will have to wait! Food! We need to see food!

Yesterdays breakfast was sooooo divine! I truly wish I could have it EVERY morning!!!

Take Me On Vacation Oatmeal! Believe me, my picture does not do this meal justice. It looked better before I drowned it with the almond milk. It is cooked and cooled steel cut oats, 1/2 a mango, shredded coconut, pecans, flaxseed and almond milk w/vanilla protein powder.


Mix of fresh berries and hard-boiled eggs for morning snack


Shrimp Ceviche for lunch! Hello! Amazing!!! Shrimp, Avocado, Cilantro, Lime, Red Pepper, Red Onion, Jalapeno and a spritz of orange.


Okay, this combo is going to sound strange to you, but it was so good. Snack was tuna and a pear. I have been missing my fage greek yogurt which I usually put in my tuna. So, I chopped up the pear and put it in my albacore tuna. OMG!!! Delicious! I now have a new favorite combination!

Sorry I do not have a dinner picture! I made dinner in the crock pot, ran home after work grabbed a container and took off to a hair appointment. YES, I ate dinner in the hair salon while getting my hair foiled. LOL!!! It was only me and my hair dresser there. Dinner was London Broil (was supposed to be Bison or Elk, I am out of Bison and don't have access to Elk), roasted carrots and half of a sweet potato! This was so filling and delicious!!! BTW, my family had London Broil, carrots and red potatoes in the crock pot for their dinner. I could have and would have had the red potatoes without a concern, except I am trying to stay as close as possible to the menu plans so that I can give you a true review of the 28 days. AND I LOVE sweet potatoes!!!

Be blessed! Be amazing! Be YOU! Let it flow! Shine that light! Share a smile!

2 comments:

  1. I have learned about periodization in one of my training classes and agree that more people need to learn about this and avoid over-training and injurys. Glad you reminded us of this.

    I have never thought about putting Fage yogurt in my tuna! I put in everything that sour cream would go, but never thuoght about replacing it for mayo...thank you for that :)

    I love how you closed this post...very up-lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I love your blog. I haveneve heard about periodization. Very good blog on this subject. I also love your meal plan .. I am trying so hard to eat clean and plan, but I am struggling. Just want someone to do it for me and be done wit it...lol But I know ultimately it is up to me to get this down!!
    I will be visiting often. I love what you have to say! :)
    Robin
    http://www.1girlgettinfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete