Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fab Lunch Fit for a Healthy Life!

Fab Lunch Fit for A Healthy Life!

What a blessed weekend I have had!!!  My hubby was only home for 36 hrs., so yesterday was ‘date day’!  We went to the farmers’ market to purchase some produce and meats from out local farmers.  This is one of my summer time rituals I missed out on while traveling this summer! After the farmers’ market we went to lunch, did a little window shopping and went to see Captain America.
While window shopping, hubby saw this cute black dress with tiny white polka dots and a red belt.  I had to try it on!!!  It was so adorable!  Once the dress was on, a sales lady brought me the shoes that matched the belt and another sales lady clinked the matching red bracelet onto my wrist!  Once I saw the whole outfit together, just getting the dress would be useless!  I think that may have been their goal! ;)
I feel like one of those twirly girls in a music box!
It was a lovely summer day!!!  Today, I had the pleasure of using all those farmer market finds to whip up a yummy lunch for my son and his wife.  It was a simple lunch, perfect for a summer day!

Fresh Lemon Water w/Mint

I gathered mint and dill from my garden.   I added a sprig of mint to a pitcher of fresh lemon water.  It just looks so cool and refreshing, doesn’t it?



We started lunch with a lentil, cous cous, and sweet potato soup I made earlier this week.
Lentil, Cous Cous, Sweet Potato Soup We started lunch with a lentil, cous cous, and sweet potato soup I made earlier this week.
2 15 oz. cans of organic lentils (rinsed well)
1 carton organic low sodium chicken broth
8 oz. israeli pearl cous cous
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion diced
2 cloves of garlic, 2 bay leafs
sea salt, cracked pepper and red pepper flake to taste

I made some fresh tzatziki, using greek yogurt, a cucumber (from the farmers’ market), fresh mint and dill from my garden!  It was delicious!!
Fresh Tzatziki
This was a yummy addition to the lamb burgers we made on the grill.  We combined extra lean ground beef with some ground seasoned lamb we purchased from the farmers’ market.  Topped the burgers with the tzatziki for the perfect main dish!
Others had their burgers on flat bread.  I love mine just like this!!!  The 50/50 combination of beef and lamb is just perfect for me!



Summer Salad
One of our favorite summer salad combinations!  Locally grown tomatoes, red onions and cucumbers, with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cracked black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.  Sometimes we eat it just like this as a side dish, today we had it on a bed of baby spinach.
Lunch was light & yummy!  The company was sweet and the conversation was great!  My son and his wife are helping me with some graphic design stuff and computer related items that seem to be challenging for me.  It was nice to share my ideas and visions with them and for them to have the knowledge and tools to help me make it happen.
We ended lunch with some of the sweetest cantaloupe I have every had!!!  I will be going back to the farmers’ market next weekend to get even more yummy produce!
Sweet Cantaloupe
I hope you are having a fabulous and fit day today!!!  What is on your grill today?

3 comments:

  1. That soup looks delicious... I'll have to look for Israeli couscous next time I'm at the health food store... so we're looking at October... Looks like a great fall/winter dish anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carolyn, you look so pretty in that dress! It almost brought tears to my eyes seeing you look so happy and beautiful. I'm so happy for the changes you've made. You inspire me every single day, even though I don't tell you often enough.

    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete