Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going Where the Trail Leads

Wow, time seems to be speeding past me these days! I can hardly account for where they day went. I have my written plan and schedule and a lot is getting accomplished. I don't feel hurried or stressed like I did when I was trying to work full time and get everything else done. But, other than a few extra workouts and a couple clean closets, I don't feel like I'm getting any more accomplished.

I have started my training for my duathlon and am very excited about that. I have had a couple fabulous runs and terrific bike rides. Today I am scheduled to put the two together for the first time. The plan was to get up and get it done this morning. However the weather is not cooperating. It is cool, very cool, windy and raining. Fortunately, I am able to go the gym and use the treadmill and spin bike. I want to time myself and keep track of my progress. The official race distances are a .6 mile run, a 13 mile ride and a 3.1 mile run. I have rode my bike 20 miles before, so I'm not afraid of the distance. I have ran several 5k's and know what I can expect from myself in that. What I don't know is what it will feel like to run a 5k after riding vigorously for 13 miles. My training plan for today is to run .6, ride 5, and run 1 mile. I was thinking about riding my usual 8 miles of hills and then running. But, I have plenty of time to work up the miles in my run/ride combination.

Today I am disciplining myself to pack my cooler even though I am home. I am doing this for a couple reasons. First, I want to try out my new cooler! Second, I need the discipline of having a planned, prepared and ready meal to keep me on my meal schedule. I am eating very healthy foods, I just sometimes forget to plan ahead and end up grabbing a little bit of this and a little bit of that so I can eat on the run and continue what I was doing.

Another interesting thing that has happened lately is that I have totally lost my taste for meat proteins other than seafood. It is the craziest thing. Nothing feels as satisfying and delicious to me as albacore tuna, tilapia, shrimp and salmon. I thought it was just a mental thing, so yesterday I tried a little pork loin cut up into my salad . . . bleh, I picked it out and fed it to the dog. And it was yummy pork loin that I had leftover from my sons graduation. Who knows what that is all about. As always I will just listen to my body, honor what it needs at this time and continue to move towards being health, fit and strong in my body, mind and spirit.

It is time for me to pack that cooler and hit the gym!!!

Happy travels my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment